Thursday, January 11, 2007

Orchids and water color


This morning Victoria Dunkle is going to tape me for three shows on WLOS TV. I've been on live twice before showing scarves that I have made that consist of 5 to 32 different yarns! Today I am going to show a different type of knitting stitch for a "Lenten Scarf" and I am going to attempt to show some water color techniques!
Victoria said they hadn't had anyone do water-colors before. I can see why! Today I am going to attempt to teach the masses something of water-colors in three minute segments! I'm excited about it.
One lesson will be painting snowy mountains using mostly blue, salt and water, simple enough. The second lesson will focus on a technique for flower petals. I grow orchids and I love to draw them and/or paint them. When I paint flowers I never draw them in. It is a good thing to practice drawing the flower you want to paint so that you become very familiar with the depths, curves, shadings, etc. Then, when you paint it, you will be surprised at how the shape will come to life. Flowers become hard in paintings when too many lines are added. You want to keep a softness that looks like the wind could move it at any moment.
I don't have any photos of paintings on line for you to see. But I do have this photo from my orchid at Christmas in front of my piano. (I teach piano. That is what I really do for a living).
If you want to purchase a painting or a wild and colorful scarf send me an e-mail!
Judy

5 comments:

The Muses said...

I forgot to add that I have several mountain scenes for sale at the Balsam Mountain Inn. They are not prints. They are all originals!
http://www.balsammountaininn.com/index.html
Judy

A Citizen said...

Thanks for the link- You need to post your artwork soon! How multi-talented you all are!

A friend of mine recommended that I watch a mover called "Songcatcher" are you familiar with it? I am going to put it on my Netflix queue. Here is a link to a trailer of it- it looks to have both contra and celtic folk music! Cheers-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210299/trailers-screenplay-E14823-10-2

The Muses said...

Mary Jane Queen was actually an integral part in the beginnings of that film. Here is a link to tell you about it! She is 92 now.
Judy
http://www.thesylvaherald.com/ruralite091301.htm

A Citizen said...

How totally cool! I thought for sure you would know something about it- I will make sure to tell my friend- Thanks Judy!

Hank said...

That's an awesome photo!